Theodore Johann Rueckert was a prominent Homoeopathic physician in Herrnhut, Germany. He died in 1885 in his 85th year. We quote from Bradfords “The Pioneers of Homoeopathy” published by Boericke & Tafel: “With him passes away the last of the direct students of Hahnemann and the oldest of all Homoeopathic physicians. By his participation in the provings of drugs under Hahnemanns guidance he has left behind him a lasting monument and by the lively interest for our cause which he evinced to the end of his life, he has become a shining model.
TRANSLATED BY S.W.S.
1. Child, five, of tender constitution, but healthy otherwise, without apparent cause developed severe pain on left parietal bone where an elastic, but not red swelling formed in which a small opening appeared; with increase of swelling the child cried day and night.
Symptoms: A soft swelling the size of half a hens egg, slightly inflamed over seat of pain, and upon close examination one could observe increasing and decreasing of the swelling, around which one could palpate an opening in the skull with sharp, uneven, serrated bone margin. The skin-covering was without hair. I diagnosed it as a fungus of the dura mater. Phosphorus 15c. was given, which soon relieved the pain and reduced the swelling, which was cured in 13 days. (H.).
2. An old negro had a bleeding swelling on thigh following a trauma. The swelling was located on right thigh between trochanter and spine of ilium, subcutaneous, conical, at its base of fist size; the dull apex was pointing downward, all about four inches long, slightly movable at its base, hard, but elastic; had been painless, cold and minus pulsation, but now warmer and slightly painful. The point had opened and discharged venous blood, and when the blood was wiped away one could plainly recognize the tissue of a fungus haematodes.
The bleeding came at times in a small jet, and then again in drops for some seconds. Though patient was well built, he felt weak. Further questioning brought out the fact that two and one-half years ago patient had a similar bleeding swelling on knee, which had been extirpated, and after which he slowly recovered. That was followed by the present condition, and a similar swelling on left thigh in same position, where I found a smaller swelling like a hard gland, but less movable.
Patients irritability, fear, worry, and the symptom: small wounds bleed profusely, indicated Phosphorus, which was given in the 30c. potency. The first few days there was more bleeding. A cord tourniquet was placed around the base of the swelling, which forced out the blood above, but controlled the bleeding. On the 14th day patient had a fever, and blister below the cord, which was cut. The fungus proliferated over their margin. On the thirtieth day there was new bleeding, but it stopped soon.
From now on the swelling decreased daily with shriveling of the tissues. On the 42nd day patient had an attack of the then prevailing fever (tropical? S.W.S.) which left on the third day without medication. The diminishing swelling formed a crater, on the point through which its substance shrank, quicker than the surrounding skin.
By the 60th day the swelling on the left thigh was also much smaller, and the main swelling was markedly less. Thus the cure progressed and by the end of the fourth month not even a hard scar remained. By the sixth month patient was healthier than before, the skin at the former fungus site was as healthy as the surrounding skin. Since the hard swelling on the left thigh was not gone. Sulphur was chosen and cured that also. (Hering).
3. Boy of six, weakly constitution, suddenly developed dark-red spots. At the root of nail on right little finger a small bluish blister formed from which blood dripped on the eighth day and the bleeding increased daily and could often not be stopped. Around the swelling a light-red circle formed with next blisters and bright-red swelling. The fungus increased, and on one foot a small wound changed into an ulcer.
Phosphorus 30c. was given which healed the foot ulcer in seven days, and improved the sleep; yet his appetite became less, with pain in stomach after eating; he lost weight rapidly. On the 14th day he had red spots on neck, itching wheals on right arm. The fungus diminished gradually. On the 21st day there was much improvement, and on the 49th day all had practically been cured. (Hering).
4. Girl of five, scrofulous, one and one-half years ago had scabies which was quickly suppressed by external allopathic treatment. A year ago she developed a large abscess on head, which healed slowly. Now she has three fungoid tumors on outer middle of left forearm discharging much pus, one the size of a walnut, the other two smaller all close together. They had started like warts. Sulphur 30c. was given twice, and cured completely in eight weeks. (Thorer).
1. Callosities on the soles this remedy cured radically in five cases; in three they were situated in the middle of sole, one inch in diameter, the other two were on the heel; they were round, flat, thickest in the middle; walking was very painful; at times the surrounding skin was inflamed with stitches in the callus. After Antimonium crudum they began to itch and the pain was increased in 10 to 14 days, but the callosities were shed in the form of scales; none of them returned, and walking again was normal. But the remedy had no effect on the corns of her toes. (Knorr).
After corns were cut Arnica externally prevented return. (Schreter).
2. Warts, soft at base but hard on top, rough, horny, round. In a girl of four, who previously had suffered from herpes, crops of warts developed during the past several months on face, ears and neck, different sizes. After Calcarea carbonica 15c. had been given in six doses during three months, they disappeared after the bases became inflamed, and then dried up with crusts which were shed by suppuration. (Knorr).
3. Warts of the same character and also in face, were cured in a boy of two and one-half in the same manner by Calcarea carbonica. (Knorr).
4. Boy of five had a larger wart on right arm which was cured in four weeks by four doses of Calcarea carbonica 30c. (Wood in Homoeopathic Times).
5. Girl of 14 developed a form of chorea following measles, had crops of warts on hands, of different. sizes, which after Calcarea carbonica 18c. become flat and were cured. (Rummel).
6. Girl of 14, slender, blond, developed some time ago a wart on the point of index finger near the nail, which hindered her in weaving. Aside from this she was healthy. Causticum 12c., three drops in two ounces of 50 per cent alcohol was used morning and night in dressing. In five days it was applied only every other evening. In 15 days the wart had dried up and was shed. (Tietze).
7. Causation 700c. one dose cured a wart with broad base in a girl of 10, situated on the volar surface of the right thumb, not painful, had developed for a long time. So also Calcarea carbonica 200c. one dose cured quickly warts on different parts of the body in a child of three; they became inflamed, healed by suppuration and left small white scars. (H.F.).
8a. Man of 50 had old watery excrescences in face which were cured in 4-6 weeks by Causticum 200c. (Nunez).
8b. Very painful, inflamed warts were cured in four to six weeks by one dose of Causticum 30c. (Goullon).
It is valuable especially in warts of face. (Knerr).
9. Girl of six, has scrofulous ulcers and in a short time developed many warts on chin, small, soft, pedunculated. Lycopodium 6c. twice daily two drops were given internally and the warts painted with the tincture. It cured in a few days, and also the ulcers looked better. (Hirsch).
10. Woman had inherited from her father a warty, horny excrescence of dollar size on forehead, slightly raised. It did not remain constantly. but lasted for a while and disappeared without treatment. Repeated doses of Mezereum 12c. helped quickly; the excrescences did not just vanish as previously, but desquamated; during the past two years there was no recurrence. (Kreussler).
I have given it in the 12-15-30c. potency with results for only warts on fingers and hands with broad, soft base, but the warts proper were elevated, horny, rough, of thickened epidermis, painless, of dark color. But their cure was not through suppuration (as under Calcarea carbonica) rather they gradually diminished in size and were worn off, leaving a healthy, smooth skin. Such warts disappear very slowly. (Knorr).
11. Lady of 30, short stature, had disfiguring warts on both hands which had resisted long previous external treatment. Rhus 9c. one drop was given, and in two weeks they diminished in size, while during three weeks the smaller warts disappeared. The remaining large wart was touched with Rhus tincture, and after two weeks all warts had disappeared. (Gross).
Hartmann cured two cases with Sepia. Schreter used Sepia 1600c. Successfully for horny warts on neck in three months, while he gave Sepia three doses 1M. for small itching, flat,hard warts on hands and face, and cured them in two months.
12. A hysterical lady, in addition to many other complaints, also had horny warts on fingers, like corns, which were cured by Sulphur. (Rueckert).
a. Its indications in warts are: broad base and conical form; superficial on skin; fissured, with rough tops, and other kinds of warts with Thuja characteristics, resulting from chronic gonorrhoeal infection and appearing in different parts of body. (Mayerhofer).
b. That warts on hands have a sycotic-psoric cause seems to be evidenced by the results obtained, that they are common in masturbators, and are frequently cured by Thuja, Nitric acid and Sulphur, which also cured the bad habit. (Schindler).
13. Boy of 14, scrofulous, had 20-25 warts on right hand, some horny like corns, others less so, but some with rough tops, some smooth and small. He also had a pale-red herpetic spot with scales on dorsum of right forearm near wrist. Thuja 1c. five drops given daily for internal use, and Thuja water-diluted- tincture as local application to soften the warts. After six weeks all warts had disappeared. During the Thuja treatment several proving symptoms showed up.
14. Girl of 14. dark hair and eyes, has not yet menstruated, has not yet menstruated, has 30-40 warts on hands of various sizes. The tops of the smaller ones were smooth, almost translucent, the larger warts were rough, punctated, cauliflower-like. Thuja was used as in 13, but irregular application gave unsatisfactory results. Half of the warts disappeared, and the remaining ones became flat and smaller, but not all were cured. The healing took place in two forms; in horny warts the subcutaneous cellular tissue became inflamed and an abscess formed which caused the overlying skin and wart to die. The small, smooth and soft warts became flat and disappeared by desquamation of the two concentrical, superimposed epidermic layers, without leaving a mark.
15. Frank himself suffered from a kind of wart in left nostril which bled easily when picked, and then was covered with a crust. Thuja tincture was applied several times, and the thing was cured.
16. A horse had a wart on head and muzzle for many years, was cured in three weeks by Thuja 2c. two drops, later Thuja 15 twenty drops.
MOLES AND NEW GROWTHS.
1. Girl of 14 had eczema impetiginosum of the head, later herpes; for some years suffered from headache and nosebleed; not yet menstruated. For six months has had a red spot on septum of nose, growing daily, bleeding from pressure which could not easily be stopped till it ceased on its own account, which was followed by some watery, ichorous discharge. A swelling developed of pea size which grew upward and was soft, covered by many small blood vessels. Aside from this the girl was healthy. Sulphur 30c. was given, and no more bleeding took place; the swelling dried up. (Rueckert).
2. Woman 18 had suffered frequently from inflamed throat with ulceration; patient was plethoric, but had scanty menses. On her left cheek a vessel proliferation developed. A complicating vesicular erysipelas indicated Rhus 30c., and in four days erysipelas and cheek condition were cured. (Wurda).
3. After rheumatic pains H. developed a steadily growing swelling between strand of the right pectoral muscle which interfered with the use of the arm. Allopathic treatment with Mercury and Iodum had not helped. There was a tense cystic tumor of hens egg size, probably filled with serous or colloid fluid. Calcarea carbonica 500c. was given every three days, which in eight days diminished the pain and swelling. The remedy was continued and cured completely and lastingly in a mouth. (Pemerl).
4. A similar swelling on elbow in a man was cured in two weeks by Calcarea carbonica 30c.
5. Small cystic tumors from pea-size to that of a hazelnut, as often seen on the wrist tendons of women, were resorbed by Calcarea 30c. in one or two weeks.
6. Woman of 23 had a painful, hard, movable cyst which quickly grew to goose-egg size on left upper arm. In ten days it was well reduced by Clematis 6c. and cured by Silicea. (Ohlhauth).
7. Man of 34, tall, pale, slightly bloated, has suffered for two years from tumor containing cheesy masses when excised. He works on mirrors and sleeps in a cellar room filled with quick-silver fumes. Has had scabies twice. Sulphur, Silicea and other remedies were given without result. Hepar sulphuris caused suppuration, but more tumors developed.
Symptoms: The first tumor developed over first dorsal vertebra, another on spine of scapula. They are red and purple, about two inches in diameter, at base slightly constricted, usually pain- less, except when lying on back nights, which caused pain like from a contusion, or burning, but are painless after arising.
Patient has no other subjective symptoms, but is always thirsty. Thuja 15c. was given daily, and in five weeks all tumors had disappeared, the covering skin was fallen in, withered, wrinkly. Thuja 30c. was given once, and in six months no other tumors had developed. (Guyerard).
Journal of the Ame. Inst. of Homoeo. Vol. 39 No. 10.