Exteriorization is nature’s method of cure. In spite of all the evidence all down through the centuries, how dimly this fact is sensed by today’s M.D.’s! Up-to-date treatment of processes thrown outward in an effort to relieve some more serious affection is local suppression. It took many years for us to stop treating chancre locally. Most anyone knows now that its only successful management is by internal medication.
If we could but see it, right here is the key to unlock the door into the entire role of drugs in treatment of disease. What is true of chancre treatment is true of the treatment of all processes of exteriorization. Restated, it says that internal medication is the only curative route, by drugs, for all processes of exteriorization. Beware of suppressing the local expressions of Nature’s effort to rid the body of more menacing, deeper disease.
When a rash goes in or rheumatism extends from the limbs to the heart, or coryza travels to the meninges, look out; we are getting into deep water. “The advance of disease (Hahnemann) is from below upward, from without inward, from a less important organ, and cure is always just the reverse.” (Hahnemann’s Organon.) And again quoting Hahnemann, “All disease that form local affections on the skin are internal diseases”.
In acute disease the exteriorization of cure or relief is rapid; in chronic slow and tedious and if there is not enough vitality to exteriorize, the patient is on his way out of this world’s troubles. I wonder if any of us realize the range of harm done by local treatment, suppression. Here is a list of fifty conditions due to local treatment or other suppressive things, with their remedies, mostly from Kent.
1. Insanity from suppressed eruptions: Caust., Sulph., Zinc., Bell., Stram. The Kent rating of remedies is here followed.
2. Insanity from suppressed menses: Puls., Ign.
3. Mania from suppressed eruptions: Zinc.
4. Mania from suppressed menses: PULS.
5. Convulsions from suppressed discharges: Asaf., Cupr., Stram.
6. Convulsions from suppressed eruptions: eight remedies ranking 2.
7. Convulsions from suppressed foot sweat: SIL.
8. Convulsions from suppressed milk: Agar.
9. Convulsions from suppressed secretion and excretion: Stram.
10.Unconscious from suppressed menses: NUX M.,; seven remedies ranking 1.
11. Unconscious from suppressed eruptions:Zinc.
12.Stupefaction from suppressed exanthemata: Cupr.
13. Vertigo from suppressed eruptions: Sulph.; ten remedies ranking 1.
14. Vertigo from suppressed menses: PULS., CYCL., Acon.; fifteen 1’s.
15. Head congestion from suppressed menses: six 3’s, eight 2’s, seven 1’s.
16 Head congestion from suppressed lochia: four 1’s
17. Head congestion from suppressed discharges: Cimic.
18. Head pain from suppressed coryza: three 2’s fifteen 1’s.
19. Head pain from suppressed menses: PULS., two 2’s, two 1’s.
20. Head pain from suppressed perspiration: CARB. V. eight 2’s, six 1’s.
21. Head pain from suppressed eruptions: three 2’s four 1’s.
22. Head pulsation from suppressed menses: PULS.
23. Eye inflammation from suppressed menses: Puls.
24. Dim vision from suppressed footsweat: SIL.
25. Ear noises from suppressed menses: Calc., Graph., Puls.
26. Ear pain from suppressed menses: Am.c., Puls., Sulph.
27. Ear pain from suppressed ague: Puls.
28. Deafness from suppressed ague: Calc., Chins.
29. Deafness from suppressed head eruptions: Mez.
30 Coryza from suppressed menses: Seneg.
31. Coryza suppressed: BELL., LACH., nine 2’s, ten 1’s.
32. Coryza suppressed from least cold air: Dulc.
33. Nasal discharge suppressed: four 3’s, twenty-four 2’s sixteen 1’s.
34. Dry nose from suppressed footsweat: SIL.
35. Face pain from suppressed ague: NAT.M., Stann., Sep.
36. Teeth pain from suppressed footsweat: SIL.
37. Eructations suppressed: AM.C., Calc., Con.
38. Eructations suppressed then stomach pain: Con., Bar.c.
39. Vomiting from receding eruptions: Cupr.
40. Vomiting from suppressed menses: Ip., eight 1’s.
41. Pain, abdomen, from suppressed menses: Puls., Spong., five 1’s.
42. Pain, abdomen, from suppressed flow from piles: NUX V.
43. Constipation during suppressed menses: Graph., ham.
44. Diarrhoea from suppressed exanthemata; Bry., three 1’s.
45. Diarrhoea from suppressed sweat: Acon.
46. Diarrhoea from suppressed gonorrhoea: Med.
47. Piles suppressed: NUX V., SULPH., Calc., five 1’s.
48. Asthma from suppressed eruptions: PULS., eight 2’s, two 1’s.
49. Asthma from suppressed acute rash: Apis, Puls., Acon.
50 Chest constriction from suppressed footsweat: SIL.
Many more effects of suppression are recorded, but these suffice to draw your attention to its frequency. Rubrics for suppressed lochia and gonorrhoea are quite extensive, as will be that of surgery when it is finally recognized and tabulated. One most active suppression, x-ray and radium, has not been mentioned.
A recent case, Mr. X., 51 years, father of eight healthy children. For eight years great depression and weakness for seven or eight days after coition, supersensitive to noise; sex diminished; in a great hurry; face twitches, very irritable. Careful inquiry uncovered that eight and a half year ago a very bad odor of the feet yielded to “Foot-ease.” In a short time the above symptoms started and have continued ever since. Another marked symptom, ameliorated at the seashore.
A single dose of Sil. 12x. gave prompt relief of all the sex symptoms. It must have been a bull’s eye for he now “feels better than for fifteen years”.
In history taking dig up any suppressions. They are nuggets of gold.
DR. PULFORD: I would just like to register one thought, that the lowest, the vilest, the most contemptible saboteur is not the man who blows up munitions and wreck trains, but the man who makes a life issue and business of suppressing disease and sabotaging human health.
DR, SCHWARTZ: I just want to say that the allopaths these days know something about suppression and the interchange of symptoms, judging by some of the articles written in the newspapers.
Dr. Barton who writes for the Daily News, has frequently mentioned that fact about eczema freeing the patient from hay fever and asthma, but that when the eczema was cured the patient had a return of symptoms of hay fever or asthma.
DR. MOORE: Some of the men are steering away from eczema in babies. They don’t like to use local treatment as an asthma may follow.