The tumor grew larger for the best part of the first year, then gradually smaller. Haemorrhages diminished rapidly and were gone in a few months, leaving a normal, regular menstruation. The tumor at the umbilicus ceased to bleed but would turn bluish and extremely sore during her periods.

CASE 1. On the Sunday afternoon of July 15, 1928, a short, very stout man, weighing 213 pounds, was driven out to my home by the owner of a car which had injured him. The car door had been slammed shut on my patients right little finger, almost severing it about midway of the nail; the fragment was hanging by a little flesh. Such was the faith of the patient in homoeopathy that he did not consider visiting a surgeon and even thought I was prepared to treat him at home. I took him to my office before investigating the damage.

Here the finger was carefully washed and immersed in a solution of Boericke and Tafels Succus Calendula, diluted with warm water to a light yellow color like molasses taffy. After soaking for five minutes, I brought the torn tissues together, put one thickness of sterile gauze around them and strapped them tightly in place. I directed that the finger, strapped as it was, be immersed in the calendula solution for fifteen minutes every two hours the rest of the day and every three hours next day. By that time some of the numbness was wearing off and acute neuralgic pain started. So I gave the man one dose of Hypericum 1M. dry on his tongue, and three more doses, one to be taken when the neuralgia was severe.

I saw the finger in two days, satisfied myself that adaptation of fragments was good and no suppuration had started, then re- strapped it with directions to soak it three times a day for three or four days more. Two of the doses of Hypericum were not taken as the pain had soon subsided.

On July 30 I have a note: “finger healing well; even nail saved.” There is now almost no trace of a scar and no permanent effect except numbness of the tip of the finger where, evidently, sensory nerve endings had been destroyed.

CASE2. May 16, 1919, a delicate boy of six was struck by an auto fender and thrown about fifteen feet, striking his head on the edge of the curb. He was unconscious for a few minutes, then walked up a step hill to his home, supported by two men. Put to bed, he lay semi-conscious with eyes half open.

Three hours after the accident respiration began to halt and then stop altogether, being resumed after a brief interval with a high, feeble cry. The face grew pale, pupils sluggish and a cool perspiration appeared on face and hands. The pulse was rapid and weak. By this time it was five hours after the accident and in the middle of the night.

I dissolved one dose of Hypericum 1M. in 1/4 glass water and gave one teaspoonful every three minutes for five doses and then every half hour for four doses. Meantime I telephoned a surgeon who agreed with me there might be enough brain pressure to necessitate a trephining operation. The hospital was notified and arrangements made while I watched the patient.

In three-quarters of an hour after starting the Hypericum, respiration was decidedly better and other alarming symptoms less. Soon sleep was natural except that the eyes remained half open.

For the next twelve hours nausea was frequent with sudden vomiting. This occurred occasionally for thirty-six hours.

May 18: vomiting continues; sent to the hospital for examination for choked disc; found all right and sent home.

May 19: all symptoms gone and seems well.

June 1: no more symptoms from accident.

The child inherited tubercular tendencies from his father who was ill before he was born and died, when he was six. The tonsils were extremely large, almost filling the throat, and he had repeated attacks of tonsillitis with very high fever for the first ten or twelve years. His mother and I had a hard time fighting school doctors and nurses and many friends. Now he is a broad-shouldered six-footer, ruddy and strong, ready to graduate from college this month. His tonsils are still in place, making no trouble.

CASE 3. Feb. 5, 1935, a boy of twelve was brought to my office after a sledding accident. Two sleds collided and this boys left hand was ground into the ice and the dirt underneath it. The whole hand and wrist were covered with blood, hiding scratches and excoriated areas where bits of frozen earth had cut their way under the skin. It was a work of time to wash the hand anywhere nearly clean and stop the bleeding. Then the calendula solution came into use again with occasional soakings through the bandage as in the case of the torn finger. There was no suppuration; particles of dirt were thrown out and the hand looked nearly normal in two days.

As this boy had been under chronic treatment for miasmatic taint since early childhood and had not taken his constitutional remedy for ten months, I gave him a dose of Sulphur 50M. at the time of the first dressing. Whether this did a major share of the prompt healing or not is a question.

CASE 4. Some time between 1900 and 1905 a young woman came to my large medical clinic with a group of symptoms which I do not remember clearly but which seemed to me to indicate Silica. Her troubles were located in left abdomen and left lower back. I gave her a dose of Silica 1M. or 10M., I do no remember which. In a week she returned to the clinic bringing me a piece of drainage tube about two inches long which had come out of the left buttock. Sure enough she showed me the site of the exit of the tube. “Why,” said I, “you did not tell me you had had an operation.” “Oh, yes,” she answered, “I was operated on for ovarian cyst three or four years ago.” She then explained that present symptoms had started after that operation and had troubled her at more frequent intervals ever since. The production of the drainage tube ended the matter.

CASE 5. Another case from the same clinic: A stout, strong young man was helped into the room almost bent double with severe pain. He worked for the Union Transfer Company, handling trunks, and a trunk had fallen off the delivery truck, the corner of it striking him in the left lower ribs. His face was drawn with pain and he could not help groaning. I put a dose of Arnica 2c. on his tongue, gave him three or four to take home with instructions to put one in 1/4 glass water and take a teaspoonful every 15 minutes for our doses. This group was to be repeated in two hours and again in four hours if necessary. I charged him to come back anyway on next clinic date, three days later. At that time he burst into the room demanding to know the name of that stuff. I told him it was Arnica. Then he told me excitedly that by the time he was half way home, he could straighten up and breathe much easier and by night the pain was about gone; none since. He had taken two groups of doses but no more.

CASE 6. In August, 1913, a widow 40 years old reported that in March, 1912, a sudden sneeze caused the sensation as if something gave way in the pelvic region; the same symptom had been felt occasionally since then. An examination some months later revealed prolapsus of the uterus but nothing more.

During the winter an occasional gushing flow of blood from the uterus was disturbing. In the spring irregular flowing any time and in the last three weeks more of the prolapsus sensation brought her to me. Examination showed the end of a polypus protruding from the uterine os. The symptom picture was quite clear for Sepia and she received that remedy in the 300th potency, one dose on Aug. 9, 1913, again August 19; the 50M. September 6 and again the 14th. This was repeating potencies too often, but I was away from home, and a substitute handled the case. The spells of flowing grew gradually lighter and farther apart.

An examination on February 4, 1914, revealed no trace of the polypus and general health was fairly good.

CASE 7. In May, 1920, a rather stout, dark complexioned, nervous type of woman 39 years old consulted me for dysmenorrhoea and metrorrhagia combined with the peculiar symptom that two shiny, red, bulging tumors at the umbilicus would discharge blood just before each menstrual flow accompanied by pain, apparently in the skin, radiating from the umbilicus in all directions. She also had a large uterine fibroid, very irregular in shape and quite hard to the touch.

The condition of the umbilicus and a few other symptoms led me to study Calc. phos., which proved to cover the whole case.

For the next seven years she had no other chronic remedy. The 1M. was given first and repeated twice at intervals of two months or more; then the 10M. at somewhat longer intervals; then 50M. and CM. the same way. This series was used three times, I think, and longer intervals between doses.

The tumor grew larger for the best part of the first year, then gradually smaller. Haemorrhages diminished rapidly and were gone in a few months, leaving a normal, regular menstruation. The tumor at the umbilicus ceased to bleed but would turn bluish and extremely sore during her periods.

The whole picture faded gradually until in 1927 I could find no tumor. The patient has had good health most of the time since and the little tumors which guided to the remedy are shrivelled and inactive.

It is not often that one had so good a pointer to aid a prescription for a condition already ultimated in a large tumor.



DR. DAYTON T. PULFORD: I should like to thank Dr. Green for a very constructive paper.

Hypericum is probably one of the best remedies to make a good showing on a patient. I had an experience of my own about a month ago. In a moment of aggravation I stuck my fingers into an electric fan and Father gave me a dose of Hypericum; I felt it taking hold and in fifteen minutes time I was able to go ahead with my work.

DR. GRIMMER : Mr. Chairman, the action of Graphites seems almost specific on the eyelids. It has cured large tarsal tumors, as large as pea, and done it very promptly.

The doctor has given us an interesting paper to help us out in any of these acute surgical conditions, not only minor but even major, and no doubt a lot of our operations would be more successful if some of these homoeopathically surgical remedies were used.

DR. EDWARDS: There are two remedies I find very effective on the eyelid, Silica and Graphites and I have had a great many cases.

DR. HAYES: I was interested in the mention of Calendula; Calendula is a wonderful remedy. It would be a fine thing if the dentists would use it. There is another medicine along the same line which is very valuable and just as magical as Calendula and that is Collinsonia canadensis, used anywhere the skin is broken, where we cant use Arnica. It has a wonderful effect, just as marvelous as Calendula, and the patient never forgets it.

DR. COLEMAN: Dont forget Staphisagria on the eyelids. I have cured many cases, but it doesnt work always.

Julia M. Green