1. Acute diseases are self-limited, and, provided no treatment is pursued, they end in resolution or death.
This being so, an acute disease can have no sequelae, the so- called sequelae being manifestations of one of the chronic miasms roused into activity by the acute disease.
2. Acute diseases may be stopped at any stage by the similar remedy.
3. In acute infections diseases all infection ceases as soon as the similimum is given.
4. The best prophylactic in acute disease in the epidemic remedy.
5. When a trivial acute disease supervenes during the treatment of a chronic one, it is advisable to use the indicated remedy in a low potency; for, if this is done, it will often be found after the acute disease has been cured, that the deep-acting remedy has not been interfered with by the short acting one, and that it still continues to act. (This is unlikely if the acute disease is severe. If it is a severe acute disease don’t expect this, and give the remedy in potency.- J.T.K.)
6. After the cure of the acute supervening disease it is advisable, before repeating the remedy for the chronic disease, to make sure that the chronic disease has not been modified by the treatment of the acute one, or by the acute disease itself, and not to call for a different remedy from that formerly needed.
7. When the acute disease has been modified by allopathic or inappropriate homoeopathic remedies, it is usually advisable to prescribe for the case as it now stands, rather than according to the original symptoms.
8. Acute exacerbations of active chronic disease must be treated in different way from that of an acute supervening disease, provided any remedy is required at all. Frequently the acute complement of the deep-acting remedy, required by the chronic disease is the suitable one, but if only an antipsoric is called for it is better not to give any medicine.
9. Commonly, when the chronic disease is only partially active, as shown by the patient being apparently in good health except that slight causes give rise to frequent acute attacks of illness, the knowledge of the remedy for these acute manifestations will enable to select its complementary deep- acting remedy, and so permit the cure of the chronic underlying disease.