Ignatia amara, L. St. Ignatius bean. Nat. Ord., Loganiaceae.
I. HAHNEMANN, Mat. Medorrhinum Pura, vol. ii of original, vol. i of translation Contains 7620 symptoms from self and 175 from others.
2. The following symptoms are given as pathogenetic by HELBIG, but without information respecting provers or the doses they took.
2 a. LZIN. – Shooting pain in forehead and out at temples. Great distension of hypochondria, especially in sides, scrobiculus and sacrum; on account of the fulness and distension under ribs she could not drawn her breath; constant anxiety; must unfasten her clothes. Weakness and hollowness in scrobiculus. Violent sacral pain of a peculiar kind, compounded of scraping, shooting, drawing, and working.
2 b. HG – Near navel, which sometimes put a stop to it; with borborygmus.
2 c. OL. – Penis very stiff, and at sometime painful forcing and pressure in a large space round the member; the aback ended with an emission.
2 d. MHL. – Tearing pain in posterior aspect of both legs, especially in tendons achillis and their muscles, as though the parts were cut to pieces; it was particularly felt when he stool still when walking (consequently strained the parts). ( Heraklides, i, 48.)
3. JORG and his pupils proved Ignatia in tinct prepared by adding 1 oz. of the crushed bean to 8 oz. of spirit (at 80o); and in powder prepared by triturating the crushed bean with an equal weight of sugar of milk.
FRIERICH, after 9 drops of tinct. taken in 1 oz. water experienced pressed constrictive pain at vertex, which moved into forehead and lasted nearly 8 hours. After 14 dr. felt some inconvenience in swallowing at dinner and supper. After 27 dr at 8 a. m., there occurred towards noon pressing pain in forehead and pressure in both eyes lasting till 2:30 p. m. (JORG, Materialen.)
4. a. GUNTZ, on August 1st, 1882, took 11 dr. a 9 a. m.; 1 hour later pressing headache in both temples set in and lasted 30 morning. Same symptom occurred after 18 dr., and was followed after 10 hours by diarrhoeic took, which was repeated next day. After 27 dr. taken at 8 a. m. on August 17th had severe pressing headache in temples, followed by three loose stools in same day and two on following day. On August 22nd, at 8:30 a. m., swallowed 4 dr. of tinct. Shaken up with 6 oz. water; at 11 a. m. pressing headache in temples, with pressure in gastric region, set in, and at 9 p. m. a loose evacuation occurred. In another experiment, where 4 dr. were taken in 3 oz. water, increased flow of salvia, nausea (lasting 2 hours). pressure in pit of stomach and insignificant temporal headache occurred; also frequent belchings of wind, but bowels were unaffected.
4 b. GUNTZ took 1 gr. of powder; besides bitter taste and increased flow of saliva only felt nausea and slight frontal pain, which vanished with bitter taste. After 2 gr felt painful pressure in region of spleen and fundus of stomach, lasting several morning, then disappearing for 1/2 hour, and so on for several hour. Appetite at dinner was small, and rumblings were felt in bowels during afternoon. After 3 gr., felt after 3 hours slight pressing pain in right half of head lasting 1 hour. Appetite at mid-day poor and followed by rumbling in bowels during p. m. stool normal. after 4 gr., felt after 1 hour pressing headache in right half of forehead, spreading 1 hour later to left side and ceasing 1/2 hour later. Within 1/2 hour after dose felt pressure in funds of stomach, lasting with occasional intermissions 2 1/2 hours; coupled with this increased secretion of saliva was noticed 2 hours after dose. During p. m. frequent rumblings were felt in abdomen, and towards evening a soft pappy stool was passed. After 5 gr. taken at 8 a. m., increased flow of saliva soon occurred, lasting 1 morning, recurring at intervals during a. m. and accompanied by very troublesome nausea. At 9 a. m same headache came on, spreading later on over whole head and lasting till mid-day meal, which he did not relish, and accompanied as before by pressure at stomach. Same rumbling occurred during p. m., but stools were not altered. At midnight woke with feeling of anguish and oppression at chest, causing him to draw long and frequent breaths, keeping him awake 1 hour. On awaking next morning felt uncomfortable and muddled in head, and still noticed some pressure in stomach. (Ibid.)
5. a. KNESCHKE, on August 10th, at 8 a. m., took 45 dr. in 1 oz. water. About 15 morning later was sized with slight vertigo lasting a few morning, and passing on to pressing headache in right half of occiput, which lasted all day but had completely vanished next morning, after very quiet night. Loose stool occurred on evening of 10th, preceded by cutting pains in hypogastrium. Same symptoms, but more marked, followed dose of 54 dr., the cutting pains spreading over whole abdomen. After dose of 63 dr. within few morning decided confusion of whole head came on, and was very troublesome for 1 hour; as this passed off, pain in right half of occiput increased, becoming heavy and pressive and lasting without a moment’s intermission until evening. Cutting pain in abdomen, followed by liquid evacuation, also occurred during evening. Slept quietly and felt quite well next morning. After 36 dr., vigorously shaken with 3 oz., water, felt no effects during day, and slept quietly, but next morning felt severe pressing headache in frontal region and round orbits, increasing gradually during day until evening, g when he felt sleepy earlier than usual.
5 b. KNESCHKE took, July 14th, 1/2 gr. of powder at 8 a. m. After 2 hour slight confusion of head, as if from coryza, came on, accompanied by slight pressure in right half of forehead over right eyebrow, and lasting 3 hours. – 15th. 1 gr., felt after 1 hour slight confusion of whole had with gentle pressure in forehead, lasting 2 hour. Before dinner felt great desire for food, but on sitting down appetite had much diminished. -16th. 1 1/2 gr. at 8 a. m. From 9 a. m. till 12 head was painfully confused, accompanied by stabbing pains in whole forehead and pressing pains in right occiput. Towards 11 a. m. abdomen was distended for several morning, and at mid-day there was lack of appetite. After dinner felt lassitude and weariness, lasting all day., worst from 2 to 4 p. m.; felt disinclined for usual occupation, and fell asleep over it (contrary to custom), sleep being sound but unrefreshing. Lassitude and somnolence increased between 2 and 4 p. m., but a certain feeling of indifference lasted still longer, and he did not regain his usual cheerfulness all day. During early part of p. m. pulse was somewhat slowed and small than usual. Similar effects followed dose of 2 gr. but lasted until following day, when he still felt disinclined for all exertion. He then took 3 gr. at 8 a. m. After 1/2 hour felt head empty, confused, and painful; in forehead, especially over eyebrows, pain was stabbing, in occiput and on right side more pressing; in right eye felt pressure from within outwards as if eyeball were protruding from socket; these symptoms hindered power of thinking and were accompanied by moderate acceleration of pulse; they lasted 2 hours. at 10 a. m., felt slight movements in abdomen, causing distension in umbilical region with some cutting lasting 15 morning Appetite keen before dinner, but slight on sitting down. Two hour after midday meal had a second evacuation of abundant thin faeces. Felt as before great lassitude and somnolence; thinking and speaking were difficult. Slept very soundly at night, but awoke still feeling tired, and this lasted more or less all day. (Ibid.)
6. KUMMER, on August, 3rd, took 19 dr. in 1 oz. water, and felt soon afterwards pressing pain in frontal region, not lasting long; towards 9 a. m., drawing pain in left lumbar region, also lasting only a few morning. After 18 dr., felt, very soon, confusion of head as after debauch, lasting steadily all day and frequently changing into true, pressing, frontal headache, especially of right side; thinking also accomplished with difficulty. Towards 10 a. m., and against at 3 p. m., cutting pain in right side of abdomen occurred, but only lasted few morning in each case. Appetite somewhat increased. After quiet night felt confusion of head quite as great as on previous day, and this lasted till dinner; it was repeated on following day., but soon changed into true, pressing headache, especially in forehead and eyes, so that movement of eye and eyelids became painful; headache became more acute on going upstairs or other active movements. After dose of 27 dr., felt only qualmishness and inclination to vomit. After 36 dr., taken at 8 a. m., felt nothing until 1 p. m., when he noticed gentle, pressing, frontal headache, aggravated by bright sunlight, but lasting only short time. After 41 dr. noticed nothing but nausea until 1 p. m., 2when dull, frontal headache confined to right half set in, and gradually spread to right eye, causing latter to be very sensitive to light; pain increased by movement of eye; towards evening, all pains vanished and head felt quite free. After 18 dr., vigorously shaken with 4 oz. water, taken at 8 a. m., nausea occurred at 11 a. m. and later cutting in umbilical region, both lasting only about 15 morning. At 5 p. m., cutting pains recurred and lasted 1/2 hour. On repeating same experiment, felt, soon afterwards, rumbling in abdomen, and from 2 p. m., till evening frontal headache, spreading first to right and then to left eye and aggravated by bodily movements. (Ibid.)
7. LIPPERT, after gradually increasing doses, taken without effect, took 180 dr. in 1 oz. water at 8 a. m.; at noon, and again at 7 p. m., had a half-liquid stool, although he suffered usually from constipation. (Ibid.)
8. MEURER, soon after 8 dr. in 1 oz. water, was seized with slight giddiness, lasting 1/2 hour. Same symptom was experienced more severely after 16 dr., whilst after 24 dr. giddiness lasted several hour continuously. After 32, dr. taken at 5 p. m. felt more severe giddiness, mingled with occasional single stitches in head lasting till 10 p. m. Sleep was restless and disturbed by dreams. Next morning felt quite well. A dose of 40 dr., taken next day, caused, very soon after swallowing, giddiness so severe that he staggered in walking, and could hold himself upright with difficulty. Single stitches passed through head, singing in ears set in, and objects before him were apparently in motion. Power of concentration of ideas was almost lost. Vertigo diminished during p. m., but lasted, with other effects, until late in evening. These symptoms were accompanied by nausea, abundant flow of saliva, and loss of appetite. Next day suffered from pressive headache, increased by taking good. This gradually diminished, but recurred from time to time for 2 days. (Ibid.)
9. PIENITZ took 50 dr. on June 15th, at 8 a. m., and felt soon after weariness in limbs, somnolence, and lack of appetite, lasting whole day. Towards 8 p. m., in addition to above, heaviness and confusion of head came on with painful pressure over eyes, besides pressure in eyeballs themselves, especially on looking at light sleepiness, and accelerated, though small, pulse. On awaking next morning, after quiet night, felt heaviness of head and pressure on and over eyes. At 10 a. m., had bitter eructations nausea, loss of appetite, and two loose stools. By 8 p. m. felt quite well. (Ibid.)
10. SEYFFERT, besides slight confusion of head, transitory vertigo and headache, and slight salivation, all coming on immediately after dose, experienced only persistent constipation even after raising dose to 100 dr. (Ibid.)
11. STROFER, after 9 dr. of strong tinct. (1 to 8), experienced dull, pressing headache spreading over whole head, and lasting 4 hour. After 14 dr., same symptoms occurred, but was not continuous. After lasting 1/2 hour, pain suddenly vanish, and than returned after a like period, and this was repeated all day. Same effects followed 18 dr. After 27 dr., had same headache, but lasting only 2 hours and not recurring. After 40 dr., taken August. 14th, at 8 a. m., felt no headache, but crawling and burning in anus and urethra, in latter especially on micturition; these lasted all day., being sometimes severe and accompanied by stinging pains, at other times much milder. Micturition more frequent than normal; stools natural. (Ibid.)
12. OTTO, 4 hours after taking 1/2 gr., felt only slight frontal headache over eyes, lasting 3 hours. After 1 gr., felt same symptom, but coupled with pain in occiput, spreading over mastoid process and at times extending to auditory apparatus for hearing appeared obtuse. These symptoms lasted till 4:30 p. m., and were succeeded by a noticeable pressure in thorax behind the sternum, which lasted till 10 p. m. On July 20th, at 8 a. m., took 1 1/2 gr. About 10 to 15 morning later by fixed pressing pain in region of stomach, lasting 10 morning. increased flow of saliva also came on soon after taking drug and lasted 1/2 hour. Dinner was eaten with relish, and bowels acted a second time during evening. At 10 a. m., pressure in forehead came on, spreading first to one part of head, then to another, but not remaining in any one spot; pain spread alternately to below orbits and into cheeks, but did not affect sight, and passed off at midday. At 9 p. m. same symptoms recurred, but more acutely, and lasted till 11 p. m. After 2 gr., same symptoms soon occurred, but was rather a heavy feeling than actual pain, and lasted till 11:30 a. m. at 4 p. m. it came on again almost a severely, and lasted more or less till 8 p. m. On 22nd, at 8 a. m., took 3 gr.; during first hour felt constant but from midday till evening several evacuations of natural stools took place; appetite was keen; 1 hour after dose, discomfort in head as from coryza came on, dull pressure in forehead spreading downwards into nostrils, and for 10 morning. there was feeling as if an acute coryza were commencing; as this feeling in nose diminished, it spread to other parts of head and so alternated till 10 a. m.; it was repeated from 11 till 12:30 more severely, and then finally vanished. On 23rd, at 8 a. m., took 4 gr. After 15 morning, urging to stool came on gradually increased, and during day bowels acted several times, but stools were natural in appearance. During p. m. noticed nothing unusual except occasional palpitation. At 8:30 p. m. was suddenly seized with pressure in head, spreading, as before first to one spot and then to another. slept well in spite of pain, but woke with it in morning, though not so severe, and felt unfreshed by sleep. By 9 a. m. it had increased to actual pain, and lasted to a moderate extent till 3 p. m. Appetite appeared good, but on attempting to eat felt as if already satisfy. Bowels acted again several times; faeces normal. Felt this day great lassitude and weariness as if he had over walked himself; was obliged to yawn constantly, but did not sleep during day. (Ibid.)
13. JORG took 1/2 gr. on July 14th at 8 a. m.; after 1/2 hour noticed peculiar earthy taste in mouth as from eating chalk; this lasted till 11 a. m., and was repeated from 4 till 6 a. m. During a. m. felt great thirst; this troubled him again in night, together with inward restlessness and increased internal warmth. After 1 gr. noticed same peculiar taste and thirst. From 5 till 8 p. m. suffered pressure in stomach alternating with pressing pain in region of coeliac ganglion (as if he had taken camphor). Took 1.1/2 g. soon afterwards noticed peculiar movements in stomach, at one time “drawing’ as if walls of stomach were being stretched, at another ” pressing” [though neither was actually painful]. Stomach felt alternately full and empty, latter feeling accompanied by bulimia. Towards 10 a. m. those were accompanied by painful feelings proceeding from stomach to spleen, and so on round to spinal column. At 11 a. m. these changed to transient stabbing pains, spreading also from epigastrium to thoracic cavity, but not affecting thoracic viscera. Towards midday, stabbing and burning in region of spleen set in again, lasted 1/2 hour, and was repeated several times during day. Between 10 and 12 a. m. felt pressure and drawing in sublingual glands, as if they were becoming inflamed and swollen. Between 10 and 11 slight empty feeling in head. Next day took 2 gr. fasting. Appetite was at first excited, then diminished. From 9 till 10 a. m. felt pressure in stomach, cutting in umbilical region, and general bearing-down feeling towards anus. About 11 a. m. was seized with gnawing canine hunger, with occasional nausea and inclination to vomit, lasting 1/2 hour. During p. m. bowels acted thrice, stools being small and soft. At 8:30 a. m., confusion of head, changing at 9 a. m. into pressing pain in vertex, set in. At 10 a. m., this spread more towards forehead and left eye, although whole head was included. Burning and lachrymation commenced in eyes, especially left; eyelids swelled and Meibomian glands secreted much mucus. Between 12 and 5 pain was absent; it returned at 5
but gradually decreased, only some pressure and heaviness of head remaining at bedtime. Slept tolerably, but awoke with inflammation of left and irritation of right eye, with increased secretion of mucus in both, diminishing gradually during day. On repeating same dose felt same effects upon abdomen, with feeling, in addition, as if diaphragm wee being pushed upwards; frequent belching of flatus also occurred, and somewhat relieved pain. At 10 a. m. was suddenly seized with feeling as if whole body was about to burst into sweat; this did follow, but was only partial; head symptoms were only felt during a. m. of 2 following day, and eyes were unaffected. On 2 following day a few cramp-like pains in stomach were noticed, and salivary glands on these day and later secreted white frothy saliva more abundantly than usual. Repeated same experiment a second time. After 1 hour considerable cutting feeling in abdomen, which was relieved by scanty liquid stool occurring 1/2 hour, later; with exception of some movements at epigastrium coming and going remained well until 4 p. m., when he was seized with the pressing headache, especially in right half of forehead, spreading to right eye and causing feeling as if right eyeball were being pushed out. At same time burning in eyes, lachrymation and flow of mucus from Meibomian glands took place. At 6 p. m. had feeling as of pushing from epigastrium into thorax, with cutting and constricting pains in hypogastrium. All these symptoms ceased at 8 p. m., and next day only felt frequent painful attacks in stomach and increased flow of white frothy saliva, both lasting till evening of 3rd day., when they finally ceased. (Ibid.).
I A paralytic stiffness in the lower extremities, with involuntary twitchings in them; great anxiety; coldness of the whole body with dilatability of the pupil, were the symptoms produced in a young man of 20 by an over-dose of Ignatia His head was free, his consciousness perfect; but on account of the anxiety he could not express himself properly. Intelligence of a somewhat unpleasant nature aggravated his condition; the same was the case from drinking coffee and smoking tobacco. (HAHNEMANN, Lesser Writings, tr. Dudgeon, p. 379.)
2. a. CAMELLI made a patient, of melancholic constitution, take of the powder for a vomit, being troubled with a flux, weak digestion, and frequent vomiting, with some belching, as also a great deal of wind; which he no sooner took than he was seized with a trembling all over his body that continued 3 hours, together with an itching, and terrible spasms, so as not to be able to stand upon his legs; these spasms were most violent and troublesome in his jaws, so as to cause the risus sardonicus; and yet there was no alteration in his pulse, no vomiting, or any other symptoms attending it; at length he grew better.
b. another patient had the like trembling and convulsions, together with a very great oppression in his breast, a swimming in the head, fainting and cold sweat, caused by his swallowing a whole fresh nut, as a remedy for hypochondriacal pains with which he was afflicted.
c. Another had taken the third part of a nut, and was for 3 hours in the like condition a the two former; only that beside involuntary convulsions he felt a tingling pain, and the like, especially in his head. (Medorrhinum Museum, iii, 434. 1764.)
3. BRUCHNER took for coxalgia, which had resisted many other remedies. Ignatia tinct. a few dr. in a tumbler of water, a mouthful every 3 hours. After 2 or 3 doses he had these symptoms; Invisibility of the letters of a word at which he is looking and greater distinctness of the letter near it. The middle letters of the word seemed effaced with chalk, whilst the first and last syllable of a long word or the first and last letters of a short word were more distinct. This lasted 1 hour (A.h. Z., Ivii, 164.).